#390; A Reasonable Solution

A reminder that I'm at Wizard World L.A. today and through the weekend; my hometown appearances have thus far been lackluster in terms of attendance, so let's see what we can do about that, if we can.
Also: this is killer.
Labels: the code of telephony
8 Comments:
Nitpicking here, but in panel 1, the caller's name is Ted. In panel 3, it's been changed to Bob. Oops.
I personally am a proponent of the opposite rule. The person who initiated the call has already initiated contact; thus the least the other party can do is reciprocate if the call is dropped, right? Amiright?
The person who made the call is more likely to be able to quickly redial, either automatically from a phone feature, or from memory having recently used the number.
I'm inclined to agree with Steve. I called you in the first place, if the call is dropped, I should have another go at it because I'm the one who started the whole ball rolling in the first place. That's usually how it plays out at our house, anyway. :-)
But if it's a long distance call, the receiver can even out the charges by calling back, rather than making the original caller bear the full brunt.
I'm working on the assumption that the caller is the one who has the recipient's number most handy (except, I guess, in the less-common case of a call that's been transferred to the internal line of a company).
As for long-distance charges, even for the people without cell phones, if the sum length of the first call and then the re-dialed call are the same as the initial call if it hadn't been dropped, the charges would be the same. Asking someone to pay for (even part of) a call that you made to them is a little tacky. (But I think most people have cell phones so I don't know how often long-distance charges would be an issue.)
A friend and I decided a long time ago that it's the caller's responsibility to call back. The caller started it, they should follow through on what they started.
Dude, you called me. You're the one that wanted to talk, not me. You wanna continue, you call again. Otherwise, I'm going to back to Super Smash Brothers Brawl.
Post a Comment
<< Home