#336; In which She's Just Making Sure

Wondermark has been nominated for an Ignatz Award! This is very flattering, and I am up against some unbelievably great competition, so I feel comfortable labeling myself a "ridiculous underdog." Thank you very much to the jury for this considerable honor.
Now, here's the thing about the Ignatz Awards: once the nominees are announced, the final awards are determined by the votes of attendees at the Small Press Expo. In practice, because the voters can't possibly have read all the nominated comics (especially those that aren't online), they just look over the paper ballots and make checks next to the titles they've actually heard of. In other words, Achewood is going to win.
Which is fine, because Achewood is great, but...if I can get enough people who've actually heard of Wondermark to show up at SPX, we might have a chance of making a decent showing. So if, come the second weekend in October, you're within about a hundred miles of Bethesda, MD -- please come join the valiant underdog struggle! I'll have convention-exclusive mini-comics!
I will say it again because I am serious. Please come to SPX next month!
(Also! Boulderites! Chris Yates Studios Open House this weekend! Say I sent ya, and Chris will give you a free sigh of resignation!)
Labels: irradiated hamsters
5 Comments:
Sounds like every Mother I have ever known. (Including myself)
Haha!
Listen, Achewood is "OKAY", I like it and all... but honestly nothing comes close to Wondermark... I mean i read xkcd, PA, dr.mcninja, but I still laugh the hardest at Wondermark.
I remember reading through the entire archives over the course of a couple days at work... I nearly got in trouble for laughing and having a smile on my face all day. I tell people about it all the time. I really wish you the best of luck with this award.
Cool! Wtg, David! I may have to make the trip up just for this.
I completely agree with Marc. I too remember traversing your whole archive when I discovered your site and have been reading your feed ever since (I'm guessing for 6 months now). While all of the artists that he mentions and that the award nominates are talented and funny, yours consistently packs more comedic oomph. I'm just now bringing life to my own blog of twisted humor and dealing with all of the tedious mechanics involved with creating one, and your site definitely keeps me motivated. I live nowhere near MD. Otherwise, I'd be there. Nevertheless, lots of luck to you!
Well fancy that... I left Bethesda for the UK four days ago. I would have gone as well. Good luck is all I can say.
Post a Comment
<< Home