#307; In which This is Awesome

The LA Weekly has an interesting article this week about Ray Bradbury. I met Mr. Bradbury once, years ago. He slapped my face tenderly and that is a 100% true story.
Also apparently Fahrenheit 451 is not about censorship. Shhh he gets mad
2 Comments:
it's not about government initiated censorship. It's about the individual censoring whatever he or she cannot control.
Fred
I can certainly see that theme in F451. The interviewer argues that movies have encouraged reading, but I'd like to see the hard data. Libraries around the country struggle to keep afloat, high school graduate barely literate teenagers, and look at the dismaying number of people online who can't even use punctuation or spell simple words (looks to check for typos...). We cancelled our cable subscription and turned off the TV a few years ago (when Fox cancelled Firefly). Now, when I visit a friend's house and see what's on, I can't believe I ever took the time to sit and watch at all. The commercials alone are brainwashing propaganda urging us to buy things we don't need and covet things unworthy of regard. I can get more out of five minutes of reading than thirty minutes or an hour of TV, even on the History Channel.
Post a Comment
<< Home